Tuesday, December 27, 2011

There's Still Hope!

My new friend Mounir with the cutest smile :)
You know what's funny? I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately, soap operas and shows. One thing I have come to realize. Only human disposes of their new born child. No animal gives up on its baby. But humans do!

Due to the nature of this blog and the positivity I tend to spread. I'm going to look at this from a constructive point of view and just leave all my - wanting to kill all those parents who dump their kids - aside!



Last week I went on Samsung's "Bus of Hope" to the SOS village in Irbid-Jordan. I have to admit it was both a happy experience and a sad one. I was sad to see this huge number of kids without their real parents. With no real support after they turn 18. But I was happy to see that they managed to find their homes at this established village. They have all the facilities they need and most importantly they have a Mother. A lady for every house to take care of the children and provide them with, what I saw a lot more love than what they'd get with their biological parents/ mother.

Lara from the Samsung team getting all comfy with the kids :)

To be honest I was amazed when I saw the SOS village. All these big companies investing in CSR, investing in creating a good life for these kids. Yes, they shouldn't be looked at differently. They deserve to play, have fun and most importantly live a healthy dignified life.

Not fair, photographer cut the half that I was in :(
Of course Samsung's team placed their investment, which was I think equipping the computer lab, then all the employees hurried outside to play with the kids. I swear I could only tell who they were from their white Samsung pullovers, otherwise you couldn't have seen them among all those kids. Face painting, balloon shaping, Muppet show! You name it, it was all there. What's even better, but shhhhh don't tell anyone, was the McDonald's lunch we all had together.

It was truly a day filled with fun and laughter. Soon enough SOS had to tell us to leave because the kids had homework and we were kind of distracting them. So yup, we got on that bus and were on our way back to Amman.

Again just in case you didn't know what's the status of orphans in Jordan please check this short film by my good friend Widad Shafakoj. After all maybe this is a call for all corporations in Jordan to join forces, like Samsung this season and Umniah last Ramadan, to give back to the communities they are part of.

Thank you for joining me and I look forward to reading your comments and replies :)

 

3 comments:

  1. you are doing a great job, kids are our future , i hope to visit sis amman soon inshalla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samsung's initiative is great, but you killed it with your last video, i thought you wanted to stay on a positive note! True its a sad and devistating situation and need to shed light onto to it, but you are blogging for the "Hope for Children", maybe you should have stayed on that note, spreading "Hope". the last video should have been kept for another blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments.

    I agree with you "Anonymous" 100% it's just that I had to shed a light on the situation. I couldn't just praise the beautiful work corporations are doing without touching base with reality. Sometimes it needs tough measures for all of us to unite and get our act together.

    Again I thank you for your comment. I will keep that in mind for my next posts. But i hope Widad's video acts as a reminder in the back of our head for what should be done by us as individuals & groups to improve the situation of these lovely kids and not rely on others' efforts to create temporary solutions.

    Salwa

    ReplyDelete